Every auto repair shop owner would love to have referrals from their existing customers, but most don't actively seek referrals because they either think they might be "imposing" on their customer if the were to bring up the subject, or they don't want to seem like they "need" the business.
This line of thinking couldn't be more wrong. First of all, word of mouth auto repair marketing can be the most powerful type of advertising you could ever have. And secondly, if handled
correctly, your customer will never feel as though you are imposing on them, and they will never think that you are desperate for business.
Most people actually like helping other people, so you'll be making them very happy while at the same time getting yourself some free advertising. But there is a right and a wrong way to go about it.
But before we get into that, let me just make an obvious statement. You must of course provide top quality workmanship and a great customer experience, because no one is going to refer another person to utilize what they consider an average or sub-par auto repair service. You mist at he very least provide quality, cost effective, friendly service.
Even if your work is good but you don't provide a trustworthy, friendly customer experience, no one is going to want to refer others needing auto repair work to you.
So how do you encourage referrals in a manner that is comfortable for both you and the customer? Well, the first thing you need to do is determine just how happy and satisfied the customer is with the job you've completed. Right after they have finished paying, you can ask them a few questions like the following:
1) We're always striving to provide the best service possible, so do you mind if I ask you a few questions real quick so I can see if there is anything we're not doing that we should be?
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, how would you rate the service you received from us?
3) Is there anything more you can think of that we could have done to make your experience with us better?
4) What do you think makes us different and better than other local auto repair shops?
5) Are you happy enough with us that you would definitely refer us to our family and friends?
OK, that's all the info I need, thanks a lot for your help. And by the way, in regard to referring us to your family and friends, we'd really appreciate it if you would tell all of them about us so they'll consider us the next time they need to have any auto repair work done, can you do that?
Well there you have it, if you do that with each customer, you'll soon be getting so much referral business that you'll be hard pressed to keep up with it.
Auto Repair Marketing - Home Page
Supplementary auto repair marketing information